Step 1: NinjaTrader 8 Gmail Setup – What You’ll Need
- Your username and password to get your Gmail setup in NInjaTrader 8 are not your conventional username / password. Please read below in the instructions.
- You must be using a personal Gmail account and not a business Gmail account.
Your Gmail email and password is not what you will need in order to get your Gmail configured on NinjaTrader 8. The following is a list of information you will need in order to configure your email correctly.
Correct Example: belltpo
Incorrect Exampe: firstname.lastname@example.org
Username: This is the first part of your gmail address. Eg. If your Gmail is email@example.com your username is going to be “someone” and your going to leave out the @gmail.com
Password: This is not yourGmail password you use to login to your account. NinjaTrader 8 requires you to use a Gmail app password. If you try using your Gmail login password this will not work and your email alerts with NinjaTrader will never work.
Step 1: Setting Up Permissions
You need to allow gmail to accept emails from NinjaTrader 8 or else it just won’t work.
To do this you need to enable 2 Setup Authentication Verification.
- Sign-in to your gmail account page to get to your accounts security settings
- Look for the section called Sign-in & Security which you will then select Signing in to Google.
- You will see the option called: 2-Step Verification. This will bring you to the 2-Step Verification settings page:
- Follow the walk through guide the rest of the way and continue onto our next session.
Step 2: Get Your App Password
Your regular gmail password will not work. This will be a google app password which is separate from your regular password.
- Go here: Google App Password Screen
- At the bottom, click Select app and choose the app you’re using. If you see a message saying “The setting you are looking for is not available for your account” then you have not setup your 2 factor verification as per above.
- Click Select device and choose the device you’re using. You can now name it, like Ninjatrader 8 Gmail or something of your choice.
- Select Generate.
- Follow the instructions to enter the App password (the 16 character code in the yellow bar) on your NT8 Platform
- Select Done.
Step 3: Configure The Client
That’s it, you’re done! Do a test email and put in a different address in the dialog box. Then later try with your gmail address.
NinjaTrader 8 Gmail Settings
Service name: Gmail
Connection – Server: smtp.gmail.com
Connection – Port: 587
Connection – SSL: Checked
Email address: Your full Gmail address
User name: The first part of your gmail address
Password: The Gmail App password you generated above